Sunday, March 7, 2010

Refashion a chipped mirror

Okay, so I started and finished a project in 1 hour. Victory! I picked up this chipped mirror at Goodwill a few years ago and had this idea in mind...3 years later, I've finally finished it.

See the chipped top left corner?

This fake flowered girly mirror is now hanging about one foot off the ground so Blair can check out how she looks in her dress up clothes. I hope I'm not creating a monster!

There isn't any special tricks in creating it, but here are a few tips:
1. Buy your flowers at the dollar store. I got 7 bunches of various pink roses for $1 a bunch.
2. Add some variation in size and shade of color. I tend to like going monochromatic when creating with fake flowers. I think an array of rainbow colors might be a little much for the eye!
3. After popping the heads off each stem, snip the ends of the stem off of each flower so that it's nearly flush with the petals. You'll find that you'll need to add a dab of hot glue on the end of what's left of the stem so that you can avoid this. (see photo)
4. Same some smaller flowers for the end. You can fill exposed gaps in between the larger flowers.

You can see my progress with the following pictures. I will also post some pictures of Blair and London's bedroom. We just moved London into Blair's room yesterday to make room for Uncle Paul (he's moving in with us in 3 weeks). It's turned out pretty cute. Much of my crafting energy was put into this room. Somehow setting up a pretty little girl's room was a top priority when we moved into our house-- Tim says there is no way our girls will be tomboys sleeping and playing in a room like theirs....What can I say? I love pink!

Enjoy!


Dollar Store Roses

Secure stem base so flower doesn't fall apart!

Rows of Roses!

Finished Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment