Sunday, March 7, 2010

New focus?

It's been a long time since I last posted! In fact a few weeks ago, I pondered abandoning this blog thing all together. That would be just like me. I tend to love the hunt of a new hobby, enthuastically jump in head first and then burn out after a month or so. It's one reason i have a "craft room" full of unfinished projects. I was talking with one of my girlfriends about how she seems to have time to pursue all her interests and stay motivated to continue them. In complaining to her about my lack of follow-through on just about everything, she asked me a thought-provoking question..."What motivates me?" In general, I would say I'm not a "goal-orientated" person. I just don't really giggle under the satisfaction of reaching a self set goal. I was kind of discouraged realizing this-- being that "setting and reaching goals" seems to be the #1 reason for success among highly published self-help authors! I also don't seem to thrive under pressure--not that I don't feel comfortable under pressure...it just doesn't toot my horn to imagine that I'm gonna get axed to death if I don't complete "this one task"--plus, what pressure do I really have as a stay-at-home mom with a loving, laid back, completely accomodating husband. In thinking through the question, I think I determined that I'm a "deadline" person that thrives under accountability--meaning, if I set an end date for my task to be completed, preferably short-term, I'm much more motivated to stick with my project and even complete it, especially when someone is counting on me to see it through! This has definately proven true in my fitness regime, among other things. I have found that if I sign up for a road race a few months away and ask a friend to train with me, I force myself into continuing a running regime up until that race. Usually the week after the race, I won't make it in the gym once, being that there is no race looming in the near future.

So, why do I waste 30 minutes of time explaining all this in a blog I haven't touched in 4 months?? Because in an effort to be more productive and faithful in my follow through, I'm going to be changing the focus of this blog a little to more of a track sheet of completed crafty and home projects with lots of before and after pictures that'll hopefully inspire you, my accountability readers! I do still hope to post about funny one-lines of my girls, updates on our family and little "favorite things" or ideas I've found or discovered here and there. So, hopefully, it'll be worth your time reading--if not, hopefully I'll get something completed for once! Either way, I'm going to try and live by with one main rule of thumb....I can't post about a project until I've completed it and I'm going to try and post once a week. There--I have a deadline and some accountability. Ready...Set...Go!

Changing subjects again...here are the latest two one-liners from my 3 year old:

1. Tim has made Blair grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast (yes...for breakfast)and after finishing his, he takes a bite of Blairs.

Blair: "No Daddy, you can't eat mine. These are not "boy cheese", these are "girl cheese" sandwiches.

2. Blair saw a commercial for Chuck-E-Cheese's, a local kids restuarant. After being mezmorised by the commercial of kids playing and laughing, she quickly turned around and said, "Dad, I wanna go to Chick-en Jesus" too!"

Until my next completed project,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment